Monday, August 11, 2008

I Like To Swim, But...

This past Saturday was my third experience with the Pocatello Triathlon. Really, the race has improved by leaps and bounds in the past three years. Lance, the guru that runs the race, has just done a phenomenal job with the cards he's been dealt.

To be honest, the Pocatello Triathlon isn't one of the best around. It's a RUN BIKE SWIM race - bassackwards in triathlon terms. The problem is that the swim is in a pool - and because of that, Lance and Co. are limited with what they can do. This year's numbers were considerably down from year's past, I think. But those that were there were rarin' to go, including me.

So.. let's start out with the run. Lance cut about 400 yds off the run this year to make it an easier start. In the past we've had to hike up the road a ways to start in order to get the official 3.1 distance. This year, we started right at the edge of the parking lot. I wasn't complaining about that... but it made for a swifter time.

I was off fast on the run. I tried to stay within reach of the top females. That would be Karen, Heather and Kris! THe problem is they were maintaining a pretty good pace - and I held it for the first 2 miles just fine. But then I kinda blew up a bit... so I had to slow it down. My run time was 20:02. Pretty fast for me.

Last year I lost this race in T1. This year I did not. I hustled through... and felt good about it!

The bike... what can I say? I suck. Nuff said. 38:30 or something like that for 12 miles. That includes T1 time. Wind... plus heavy Smitty = Crap. Ugh.

T2 was good, too. My neuroma was BAD and my left foot KILLED coming off the bike. I limped it to the pool though and felt fine once I was wet.

The swim. Last year, as you'll recall, I swam TOO MUCH. This year = ditto. There is NO WAY my swim split would be 2:00+ per 100!!!! I typically hover around 1:20 - and even with the fatigue I wouldn't have been over 2. I actually felt GREAT in the water. My stroke was strong and efficient.

Overall, I finished in 1:07. Not too shabby... but not exactly pleasing. I did knock 7 minutes off my time from last year. The run was faster (thanks for the bonus 400 Lance!) and the bike was probably faster - but I think shorter, too!

ALl in all, a good race. I was 4th overall (Karen, Heather and Kris!) and 1st athena.

Next up: Bear Lake Tri. I've got to miss the Rush (dang!) because I have some PR stuff to do with my concussion awareness campaign.

School office hours start in a week. Classes in 2 weeks.

OH. Did you see the 4x100 mens free relay win last night? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PHENOMENAL!!!! The best race EVER EVER EVER!!!!. Phelps leads off with an American Record and Lezak finishes with the fastest split ever! That kind of comeback in the last 15m JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN IN SWIMMING!!! GO USA!!!!

No comments: