Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rigby Tri

Yesterday I was back in action at the Triathlon at Rigby Lake. This was the third time doing this race. The first year I was just a rookie and it was pretty much my first solo tri ever. Last year I did the race 6 days after Florida Ironman 70.3... and was sooooore.... and the lake lacked water so it turned out to be a run-bike-run.

I have to admit I wasn't "THRILLED" about going to the race yesterday. I've been running a lot lately but the motivation factor just hadn't hit me to be psyched for the bike part. To be honest, I haven't trained well at all yet on the wheels! So... THIS RACE WAS GOOD FOR ME... Because it forced me to get my head straight. And it did!

My swim was decent... a little slower than normal but I'm thinking the course was longer by about 100 yds... because several other folks were saying how their swim took longer than normal. No biggie. I like the longer swims. I was third person out of the water.... and 2nd female. Yes. 2nd. I got beat by a swift little swimmer girl who's 17 and just out of swim team! haha. I'll take it!

My transition to the bike SUCKED. I loathe running up hill after the swim... (or ever) so my legs weren't moving very good. Two people passed me on the way to T1 going up the bank. Haha. Didn't care. But my legs were shot from the run up the bank (and from kicking so hard when some weirdo decided to draft off me the whole time but didn't know how to do it right cuz he kept grabbing my ankles... so I KICKED and he quit it).

I sat down. And put my shoes on. Haha.

Once I was through transition and past the check point (haha) I mounted my bike and actually had a good ride. I did get passed by 2 more women. Oops. One was at the very end. Ooooooops. Guess I should have rode a little harder. But I was just out for a good "C" race... to feel the whole three sport thing once again... and I was more than content with the ride I had. My stupid new aerobars are still not comfortable though!

Once I got back to transition I was "happy" (not) to find that someone had parked his bike in my slot - right over the top of my stuff. I would've parked my next to it... but there was no room. So I laid it down behind my slot... and "cheerfully" changed my shoes and headed out.

My run. Well. Hmm. Not much has changed. It's soooo frustrating to know that I've worked so hard on my run and I just can't get my split down much. Whatup. I know exactly whatup. It's mental. I'm more than "in shape" enough to hold sub 9 minute mile pace on a 5K at the end of a triathlon... but I DON'T THINK I CAN... so I'm quick to accept the excuse and allow myself to walk. So that's what happened AGAIN at Rigby. Note to self: Get over it.

I was third overall woman... until the last 10 yards when another woman passed me. Ooops. 1st Athena... 4th overall. Guess I shouldn't have walked - once. Guess I should've not sat down in T1. Guess I should've pedaled just a tad harder. Oh well. "C" Race. That's what it was all about.

So... on the bright side my bike split WAS faster than I've done before. My swim was strong. My run was a push. My time was 8 minutes (nearly 9) faster than that race 2 years ago. So I AM improving I suppose.

The race was a good one. I'm glad I did it... it put things into perspective pre-Boise IM 70.3 . I have two weeks left before that one.

My goals for Boise:
It's a hilly bike course so if I can get a 6:25 or so I'd be ecstatic.

My goal for the year is to break a 6:00 in OKC at the Halfmax.

Now. I need to decide. Do I want to be GOOD or do I just want to GET BY? If I want to be GOOD, I need to be willing to put the work in.... and not just go through the motions. Quality over quantity Smitty. That's what it's about.

Oh. And we got a new dog. His name is Bristol and he's a border collie. A handful, too.

I miss Scratch! :)

No comments: