Saturday, May 24, 2008

I May Not Be Smart But At Least I'm Having Fun.


Today... on just 5 full days of rest... I did the Rigby Lake Triathlon. What in the world was I thinking? I'll probably pay tomorrow... my legs are a little sore right now. But what can I say... I'm addicted to these things!

My legs have felt pretty cruddy all week long since returning from Florida. Being cramped up in the plane all day on MOnday certainly didn't help. I went from REALLY SORE, to sore... to spongy.. to intermittently wobbly. I swam a little on Tuesday - just to get some blood circulating to the sore areas and to loosen up my stiff shoulders and back, but other than that I've done nothing all week.

I really wanted to do Rigby. It's part of the East Idaho Challenge Series and I really want to win that again this year. This race was crucial for that because I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do Blackfoot with the State Rodeo and all.

So.. up I got at 6am and off I drove to Rigby - against ALL advice from Coach Kris (don't tell her I went! haha).

There was no water from some odd reason (they're flooding up river right now so I can't understand why the powers that be wouldn't fill the lake at Rigby to ease some of the pressure!) so we had to do a run-bike-run.

The first run was a tad painful. I definitely felt it in my muscles. It was supposedly 2 miles... and my time was about 18 minutes - about 5 minutes slower than I likely would've been out of the water, but that's okay.

I WENT SLOW THROUGH TRANSITION! I was in absolutely no hurry. NO need to compound the issues with my body!

Once I mounted the bike I REALLLLY felt the pain in my thighs. It was obvious to me pretty quick that I wasn't going to have much power. So.. I put the Cervelo in an easy gear and just spun - no power, but no problem with me! I only got passed by one guy - so that was good. But my ego took a hit on the last 5 miles when I wasn't able to pass a guy on a Mtn Bike! Haha! Too funny. Oh well.

A little quicker through T2 and off on the run. Again, I was in NO HURRY. I just wanted to run-walk the 3.2 to the finish.

My legs were pretty spent when all was said and done... but I honestly don't think I sweated much at all. I was pretty dry.. and I wasn't even breathing hard at the finish.

My time was 13 minutes FASTER than last year - so that's another testament on how well Kris has trained me. I won Athena but I don't even think I was top 10 overall (darn runners had a great advantage here! :) )Hopefully this conditioning will last through the season.

The race was really well organized this year. It's no fault of theirs that there was no water. The adjustments were good - the course was well marked - and the atmosphere was festive. Good job to Michael at PB Performance and his crew.

BTW Poky Tri did great. Gary won it all (Sprint) and Dean took 4th. Emily faired well in her first Olympic... and Erica was RAD in her first tri ever! A few other faces I saw there too.... can't wait to get 'em all involved in our little club!

Now.. I'm off to Island Park for a little fun. The Sea Doos are gonna get wet. I don't care about the weather! I'll also bring the wetsuit and take a nice dip in that chilly water! Can't wait to do some good ole' fashioned IDAHO open water swimming!

No comments: